Chapter 1
Pirates
I stuck my compact through my bedroom
door, using the mirror to see if it was clear to run. I hoped none of my mum’s
maids would see me. I stuffed my gun into my pants pocket and hurried through
the door. If I ran, I knew I would make it to where my brother was practicing
with his friends. I skidded down the hall and turned, running down the stairs.
I made it through without anyone catching me.
“Ah! Opal, you’ve made it! We saved a
few targets for you!” Prince Edmund called, laughing. He ran his fingers through his pale blond
hair. I hated having to wear this stupid wig but since I was around others, I
had to don it. I pushed a strand of hair back behind my ear and aimed at one of
the targets. I hit the target’s
bullseye. I sidestepped to the next one and shot the bullseye. I blinked and
rubbed my eyes when the contacts shifted, obscuring my view. I shot through the
third one they left for me and laughed.
“Do you have anything else I can do?
That didn’t take long.” I laughed.
“We planned on fighting next, so I guess
you could take part if you wish.” He replied. I nodded.
“Just don’t mess up my hair or we will
bring down the wrath of the queen on us.” I wasn’t lying about that either. I
hated wearing the wig but if my mother found out it got messed up, she would be
furious. I watched a pair of Edmund’s friends start wrestling. I fought with
Edmund, giving him a good kick to the jaw, and knocked him down. I grinned up
at, loving his rules of engagement. The first one to fall loses. I laughed. He
glared up at me and pulled himself to his feet.
“Have you gotten faster or have I gotten
slower?” He asked.
“Both, probably.” I giggled. “I think
you should spend more time training and less time flirting with princesses.” He
glared at me then turned to his friends.
“I doubt you could beat all of them. Not
all at once though because that’s cheating.” I took on each of them and won. I
grinned at Edmund and then felt my jaw drop. My mum was standing at the doorway
to the courtyard. She looked right at me and motioned towards her with a crook
of her finger.
“Looks like all the fun is over.” I
grumbled, dusting myself off. Edmund snickered as I walked past him. I rolled
my eyes as I sauntered towards my mum. She grabbed my arm and dragged me
inside.
“I told you to stay in your room! I need
you to try on your dress one last time before tonight’s party!” She pulled me
into my room. “Now you need to bathe again. You make me so angry sometimes. I
know you want to be able to take care of yourself but why did you have to go
out there today, of all days? I need you to be ready for today.” I pulled my wig off and headed to the
bathroom. Strips of fiery red hair were falling out of the bun I’d put it in so
I could wear the wig. I removed the contacts and dropped them in the trash.
“I’ll take a shower then, Mum. I guess
you should call in the dressmaker.” I showered and when I came out, the
dressmaker, Mrs. Frances, was already there. The pale blue dress I was going to
wear that night lay on my large bed. It had lace on the bottom of the dress and
the edge of the neckline. Or where the neckline would be since the dress was
strapless. I knew the lace was going to bother my arms and back all night. My
mother held up a corset as I put on the rest of my underclothes. I rolled my
eyes again. I hated wearing that thing. I was glad I had a natural hourglass
figure so the strings didn’t have to be pulled so tight. I didn’t mind wearing
it outside a regular shirt occasionally but my mother hated that which made me
like too wear it more. I stepped onto the small platform and let my mum drop
the dress over me. Mrs. Frances pulled in a section near my hip then cut off
some fabric and sewed the strip back up.
“I think it is perfect now, Your
Majesty.” The queen smiled at her.
“You look beautiful my dear, you really
do.” I walked over to the tall mirror beside my wardrobe and wrinkled my nose.
“If you say so. I feel like I’m going to
be squeezed to death.”
“But you won’t be and you look beautiful
so don’t worry. Now, you need your hair done.” She called in her personal
hairdresser, Mrs. Claire. I sighed and sat down at my vanity. She brushed out my long red hair then pulled
up into a bun. I flinched as she yanked on my hair. I wish she didn’t have to
do that. I loved my red hair. She braided up the wig and then placed it on my
head. She put pins in place so it wouldn’t slide then wrapped the braid up into
a bun. Mum handed me the blue contacts and I put them in. I hated these
too. Mrs. Claire put on my makeup and
perfume. My mum held out a pair of
silver heels for me to put on.
“Why do I have to wear those? No one is
going to see my shoes anyway.”
“So you can be taller and dance with
suitors easier.”
“I can move better in my boots.” I protested. I knew it wasn’t going to work
but I wanted to try anyway. She glared at me and shoved the heels into my
hands. I rolled my eyes and dropped them on the floor then stepped into them. I
pulled on the white lace gloves she laid out for me. She pulled out my favorite
pearl necklace and earrings I had insisted on wearing. She’d requested I wear
diamonds but we’d reached a compromise. I’d go strapless if I could wear my
pearls.
“Good, you’re ready. Now stay here until
one of my maids comes for you. This is your party and you need to make a grand
entrance. I ‘m going to talk to your father now.”
“Can I at least walk around the castle?
I can’t stand staying here for another couple hours.”
“Alright.” She conceded. “Just don’t
stray too far.” I nodded and she left. I wanted to know what she was going to
talk to my father about. I was nosy and fairly happy about it. I slipped quickly
down the hallway, taking the long way around to my parents’ bedroom. I passed a
few maids who curtsied at me. I nodded and kept walking. When I finally got to
the door, I saw a maid leave and the door didn’t shut all the way. I could hear
them talking but it was just mumbles from where I was so I snuck a bit closer.
I could hear my father talking.
“We need to tell her. We may need to
tell the world, soon. She won’t always be able to wear a wig when she’s
married. Her husband will know her true colors.” They were talking about me.
Why? And what did they need to tell me? I snuck a little closer and heard my
mum start talking.
“Are you sure about this? Maybe we could
do it gradually. Tell them that she had genetics from a long dead ancestor but
we didn’t want anyone to be suspicious so we had her wear wigs and contacts.”
“That may work.” My dad replied. “But I
still think she’s old enough now to know the truth. I just don’t want to
alienate her from us.”
“Yes, then we’d have to set things right
again. I love her no matter what and I always will.”
“As will I. Let’s tell her after the
party tonight. Opal needs to know.” I felt my face grow cold. I didn’t like the
way they were talking. Something didn’t feel right. I quickly backtracked to my
room and stayed there.
About half an hour later, I was standing
on my balcony watching the guests arrive. I wished I didn’t have to go down
there. I hated dancing with people I didn’t know and I still felt uneasy about
what my parents wanted to talk to me about.
I glared down at the glittering driveway below me. This night just kept
getting worse and worse. All the carriages and cars that were coming in held
people that were important to my father and apparently my future. I watched
guests being helped out by their chauffeurs who then drove off towards the
parking area.
“Princess Opal! Queen Diamond is coming
in.” I rolled my eyes at the sky, wishing my mother didn’t have to be
introduced to me as the queen. I turned
around and watched her walk in. She was wearing a long red dress with gold
trimming and a red cape. Her red lipstick that was bright against her pale
skin. Her blond hair was in a long braid over her shoulder and her tiara was
set high on her head. She smiled at me and held out her hand. Her gold and
diamond wedding ring shone.
“Let’s go dear. It’s almost time for the
party to begin.” I nodded and took her hand. She led me to the left and down
the hall, away from the bedrooms towards the ballroom. My father was standing
beside the door in all his kingly splendor. His large crown sat on his blond
curls and he wore a dark suit. His smile reached his eyes. Edmund stood next to
him, wearing an equally dark suit, but he didn’t have a tie and wore a smaller
crown. He looked about as uncomfortable as I felt and I had to stifle a giggle.
A smile slipped through and he glared at me. A butler came up and bowed to my
father.
“King Julian, it is time for you and
Queen Opal to make your entrance. All the guests have arrived and are awaiting
your great presence.” My father held out his elbow to Mum. She smiled and
slipped her hands around it and they walked through the large wooden double
doors. I heard the butler announce their entrance and the crowd applauded. Edmund
grinned at me and held out his elbow the same way my father had just done to
Mum.
“Are you ready?” He asked with a
chuckle. I sighed and shrugged.
“As I’ll ever be I guess. I wish I
didn’t have to go through with this.”
“At least the party will be over for you
soon. Father’s been having a rough past couple of weeks so he’ll break out the
alcohol early tonight.” I smiled at that thought. It was the only thing that
propelled me forward, through the curtain, and into the view of the couple
hundred guests my parents had invited. The glint of the ceiling‘s chandeliers
and the white tile blinded me briefly. I heard him announce our entrance and I
curtsied while Edmund bowed.
As I followed my brother to the throne area, I
looked out at the crowd of guests mixed with our mechanical servants. They were
designed to not only serve refreshments but also to protect us and the guests
in the case of an attack. They would defend us while taking out the threat. My
father came up with the idea when America and the airship pirates became more
of a threat years ago when he first became king. My mind wandered to our
history and how what used to be Canada came under the rule of England. Then the
United States had been in the middle of a second Civil War. When both sides became
too worn out to fight anymore they split up. Canada hadn’t cared for either
side so to stay out of the conflict they joined with the British government.
Alaska and Hawai’i became independent. Those that didn’t like the way the
government was running things broke apart and stuck to the old Constitution.
Those that were content to be ruled soon became weak minded and powerless.
Before long, their system of choosing their own governors disappeared and
England once again took over. My father told me they were helping those people.
He told me he wished the Americans would come to their senses and let us help
them too so we could all be New Britain and be one big country again. I didn’t
like the idea and I honestly would prefer to live in a country like America
where citizens could choose who their rulers were. Of course I couldn’t say any
of that to my parents. My brother nudged me out of my reverie.
“It’s
time to begin the dance!” My father announced as he stood up. Some of the mechs
began playing music a little louder and couples paired up and began to spin
around the room. I watched the women’s bright dresses sway with their
movements. My father gestured to a young man. He had a bold façade and curly
blond hair. His suit was dark and he bowed low to Father.
“I’m
pleased to be here before you, My King.” The man stated. Father chuckled
deeply.
“I’m
delighted you could make it Prince Jefferson. Opal.” My father held his hand
out to me. I stood up and curtsied, just as I was expected to do. “Opal, this
is Prince Jefferson. You will be dancing with him first tonight.” I smiled with
false happiness like I was trained to do. I walked down the few steps so I was
level with him and took his outstretched elbow. I was suddenly glad I was
wearing the heels. Jefferson was very tall, even though I wasn’t short. I
danced with him and all he did was talk about himself and his accomplishments.
I acted interested and kept up the conversation but I wanted to run out of
there. We were halfway through the next dance when my brother cuts in and leads
me to another young man. This prince was no different. After the fourth man, I
stopped remembering any details or even names and just danced. After the sixth
man, my father announced it was time for the VIPs to board the airship with us.
I noticed all the princes I danced with were coming and I rolled my eyes. Some
of the servants followed us up to the roof while the rest began cleaning up and
seeing the other guests out. I followed my brother and the rest of my family up
the flight of stairs and onto the flat roof of the castle. A large airship sat
in the middle with the mechanical captain waiting there with his, or its, crew.
I’m not sure if mechanical beings have genders but this one looked male, as did
most of the mechs my father had created. We entered first and the crew bowed to
us as we passed. The captain told my father that the wind was a bit strong
tonight so we wouldn’t be able to stay up for long. That made me sad, though I
didn’t say anything. I loved being in the air and the look of the long oval
ships in the sky. They weren’t like the ships of the sea, all bulky and wooden.
These were streamlined with thin, metal plates and with propellers in the back
and windows in the front so you could see out. I looked around the main section
of this ship which was named after my mother, Diamond’s Dream. She said she
liked the airships but I really don’t think she does, at least not the way I
do. I could live in one, given the chance. One of the princes came up to me,
interrupting my daydream.
“I
can’t stand being cooped up in these things, can you, Princess Opal? There so
dirty and dark and you could die if one little thing goes wrong.” Feeling my
temper flare, I spun around.
“I
love the uncertainty about the airships! And my father’s ships are never dirty
and they are most certainly not dark. I don’t remember your name, and you
should consider yourself lucky because I would tell Father right now and he
would have you removed for such remarks! Good day to you sir!” And with a turn
on my heel, I marched off angrily leaving a flabbergasted prince behind me. I
planned on telling Father anyway. I’m pretty good at remembering what people
look like.
Soon,
the party was in full swing. My father had the alcohol brought out and as most
of my suitors were old enough to drink, they had their fill and then some. I
snuck off to explore the ship while the rest of the party got drunk. I went down
to the engine room to examine the engines. I was good with machines and enjoyed
working or tinkering with them. Plus I wanted to run my own ship one day so I
wanted to know every detail of this ship just to get the feel of it. After I
finished my explorations and decided to return before I was missed since it was
my party, I headed for the door. It suddenly opened and I was pushed back and
knocked to the ground.
“Ow!”
I shouted. “Stupid mechs watch where you’re going!” I snapped angrily. But when
I looked up, I didn’t see any mechs. The one who had opened the door was that
prince I’d yelled at earlier. “Oh, I’m sorry; I didn’t know it was you. I
thought you were one of the crew.” He looked angry and drunk, which worried me,
especially when I saw a couple other princes behind him.
“I,
I told them what you said to me.” He slurred. “They don’t think that was a very
ladylike way of acting.”
“Well,
you asked me how I felt and I told you. I’m sorry it wasn’t the answer you
wanted.” I went to stand up and he grabbed me and shoved me into one of the
engines. “Let go of me that hurts!” I snapped.
“I
think we should teach her a lesson.” One of them said. I was confused until one
of them hit me. In my anger I went to strike back, but froze mid punch. My
father had asked me to never fight while I wore a dress so I could conserve my
ladylike appearance but still know how to protect myself. I had a feeling he
would make an exception just this once, but before I could connect with one of
their jaws, I was hit again and knocked down. I noticed the door was still open
so I decided to make a run for it. I crawled for the door and just as I reached
the threshold and cried for help, I was dragged backwards, kicked in the side,
and had the door slammed in my face.
“I
say we have some fun with her.” One of them said. “Even if they find her, they
won’t believe we did anything to her.” That was the final straw. Dress or no
dress, I wasn’t going to lay here and take getting beaten up by these brutes. I
soon realized they had something else in mind when one of them grabbed at my
skirt and cut it up to my knee with his knife. The knife was sharp and long enough
to cut through my pantaloons beneath, exposing my calf.
“Let
me go! I will have you jailed for life for this if you don’t let me go!” I
hollered. I clawed at his hand and
punched his jaw. When one of the other princes grabbed my wrists and tied them
together with his belt, I wished my brother hadn’t made the rule about only one
on one matches. I kicked and got him in the groin. In his drunken fury, he
lashed out at me with the knife, cutting my cheek. I winced from the pain and
cried out again. He sat on my legs and wiped the blood off on his pants.
“You
little brat, I’ll make you pay for that!” He cut the skirt up to my thighs and
I screamed one last time before I was gagged with one of their handkerchiefs. Tears
welled up in my eyes as I realized I was powerless now. I closed my eyes and
waited for it to be over. I heard a squelching noise, a pained groan and then a
thud as my legs were freed. I opened my eyes to see the prince lying on the
ground with a knife in his neck, dead. I gasped, taking in more of the gag. I
looked around for my rescuer and heard a cry then a gunshot. I cringed and felt
my arms get free. I removed the gag and turned to see the man behind me dead
too. The last two were holding up their
guns at someone behind one of the machines. That’s when I saw my rescuer. He
was tall and thin with jet black hair that fell almost to his shoulders and
dark hazel eyes. He looked Asian I realized and I watched as he ducked behind
the machine when they fired at him. Drunk as they were, they missed by a long
shot and destroyed some machine. It died with a small boom and a hiss of steam
came rushing out. The man popped back up and shot both of the men down
instantly. I barely heard his gun due to its silencer. I was shaking as he came
around the machine.
“Are
you going to kill me too?” I stuttered. He shook his head.
“You
can fight, can’t you?” He asked. His voice was husky and the way he stated his
question gave me the feeling he already knew the answer. I nodded. “Then why
didn’t you? Afraid to ruin your dress?” I shook my head.
“I,
I was told never to fight in my dress.” I looked at my bloody gloves and ruined
dress. I could see my pantaloons underneath and began shaking again. I’d never
come so close to someone hurting me before. “I can fight, very well, and with
weapons. I guess I was caught off guard and outnumbered.” I looked up at him,
confused. “Who are you and why did you save me? I guess you could get some kind
of reward out of it from Father though. I’ll make sure you get something.” He shook
his head.
“I
don’t want anything from him.” He sneered. “Not yet.” He turned towards the
door and that’s when the whole ship shook. I was already unnerved and I
screamed in fear. The man chuckled. “It’s time I leave. Goodbye, Princess. I
think you should keep I knife with you on all times from now on.” I looked at
him, closely and that’s when I saw it: a long black and gold tattoo winding
down from the front of his neck to his elbow. Only pirates got tattoos that
extravagant and most pirates were on the American side.
“Wait!”
I called. But he ignored me and took off down the hallway. I ran after him as
the ship lurched to one side. He had an American flag on the back of his shirt
and I knew he was a pirate. “Wait, please! I want to be on your side!” He
stopped, mid-stride, and slowly turned around.
“You,
a young woman of wealth and a princess no less, want to a low deranged
rebellious American?” I knew by the way he described himself, he’d heard others
call Americans that but I nodded in earnest.
“I’ve
read about you and I believe the government should be the way you have it too.
Besides, look where being a Princess has gotten me.” I gestured to my cut face
and cheek. “Please. Even if you have to
feign a kidnapping, please take me with you.” He shrugged his shoulders.
“Alright,
but if you’re being kidnapped, we do this my way.” I nodded, unsure of what he
meant but I didn’t care. “Turn around.” I obeyed and felt him knock me in the
back of the head. I remember thinking he was a bastard and I could’ve feigned
this before I passed out.
you are invited to follow my blog
ReplyDelete